My Ubuntu computer has begun to freeze out of nothing. It has been happing since I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I am not the only one: A Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up Ubuntu Forum thread has since 10th May 2010 gained 881 entries (August 2010 count) and the Ubuntu 10.04 random freezes Launchbad thread reaches 165.Keyboard, mouse, screen and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace freezes and only a hardware reset seems to be available for getting me back. The frequency is around once a day or more often. It is not possible to reproduce. There is nothing to look for /var/log/kern.log, /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog. The upgrade to 10.04.1 did not fix it. It has been happening with Linux 2.6.32-24-generic kernel and previous versions. It is happening on an older Dell laptop which I recently installed with 10.04. I have another Acer Aspire One with Ubuntu 10.04 that does not have the problem. It was originally installed with 9.10. I doesn’t seem to be tied to a specific use of an application. “System > Admin > System Testing” does not led to any useful crash or information. There have been loads of suggestions on the Internet for why this is happing:
- Bad RAM. But it worked before?
- The new ext4 file system. And, yes my file sytem ext4 (see with df -T). Before it was ext3. So what do I do?
- Nvidia driver. Well the graphics card is Intel 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML.
- 64 bit issue. No, I am running 32 bit.
- Compiz with all its flashy effects. Perhaps.
- ACPI. Perhaps. databubble suggests “noapic nolapic acpi=off” as kernel parameters during boot. When I introduce “acpi=off” my mouse doesn’t show up in X… Wow what a bug.
In the process you learn about Alt+SysRq+REISUB, i.e., “busier” backwards. This will actually reboot the freezed computer. As bugfix users suggest going to Debian and PCLinuxOS. One user writes: “After 4 years of Ubuntu and 3 months of random freezing I’ve migrated to PCLinuxOS.”I am presently limping in Ubuntu 8.04 and looking on Debian. This is a show-stopper for Ubuntu.
(Typos corrected 4th September 2010)